Sling Media on Tuesday night unveiled the Slingbox M1 and SlingTV -- the newest devices that sling your shows and channels from your living room to anywhere in the world. The M1 and SlingTV (which features 'Smarter TV' features that enhance your viewing experience) replace Sling's award-winning Slingbox 350 and 500 models.
The Slingbox M1 uses its built-in WiFi to connect with the new Slingplayer app for PCs and Macs, which dramatically improves setup and configuration -- and is able to get you up and running in less than 10 minutes. The M1 also works with Sling's iOS and Android apps. Priced at $149.99, the M1's features include:
- Dual-band 2.4/5Ghz WiFi connectivity and Ethernet port
- Absolutely no monthly fees for the Slingbox M1 or SlingTV
- Watch and control live TV on a tablet, phone, PC or Mac
- Easy and quick setup and playback via PC/Mac desktop apps, as well as iPhone, iPad and Android phone apps
- Watch on a second TV anywhere via Apple TV® and Roku®
- Play and schedule DVR recordings
- Component and composite input/output
SlingTV takes the Slingbox experience to the next level by turning your TV into a “Smarter TV” without any other hardware or upgrades required. SlingTV lets you discover more of the pay TV programming you're already paying for with an easy-to-navigate interface that looks like your iPod library. SlingTV will also make sure you're staying up on the hottest programs on TV thanks to SlingCloudTM, the company’s cloud-based analytics platform that analyzes popularity, reviews and social activity.
SlingTV, priced at $299.99, has the following features:
- New on-screen TV main menu powered by the included SlingTV remote
- Soft remote built into Slingplayer for iPhone or Android phone apps
- Gallery View
- A visual interface to easily find and select a show to watch
- Filter by popular, favorite channels, sports, movies, kids programming, etc. currently airing, upcoming and in primetime
- Rotten Tomatoes® ratings for all movies in Movies filter
- Big screen TV scoreboard and channel guide. See all the scores and stats without changing the channel
- Find out who’s playing, the score and the channel it’s airing on in a visual, easily navigated interface
- Details View
- Get detailed game stats in real-time for fantasy fanatics
- Integrated Thuuz™ excitement ratings tell you when to tune into a game based on the score, the match-up, dynamic game momentum changes, etc.
- Movie and TV episode details
Slingbox M1 will be available in retail stores and on Sling.com (and other online partners, like Best Buy, Amazon and TigerDirect) on July 20th, while SlingTV will be available in late August. Existing Slingbox 500 customers will automatically receive the SlingTV software upgrade for free at that time as well.